Laws are made for the people and by the people. Every legislator or parliamentarian owe it as a duty to the people he represents to ensure the mandate bears the people’s collective interest.
The House of Representatives’ Committee on Environment and Habitat under the Chairmanship of Hon. Obinna Chidoka (Honourable Member representing Idemili North and South Federal Constituency) made possible the Public Hearing of some bills which include:
1. A Bill for an Act to Amend the National Environmental Standards and Regulations enforcement Agency NESREA (Establishment) Act, CAP 164, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria to provide for and adopt Clean Air Policies and for Related Matters, 2017 (H.B 992)
2. A Bill for an Act to Regulate the Disposal of Waste by Industries or Companies: Prohibit Environmental Pollution: Prescribe Penalties Against Offenders; And for Other Related Matters, 2016 (H.B 346)
3. A Bill for an Act of the Establishment of Erosion Control and Prevention Commission and vest it with responsibility for Prevention, Control and Management and Redress of Erosion and for Other Related Matters (H.B 1019)
4. A Bill for an Act to Amend the National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency (Establishment, etc) Act, 2006 and for Related Matters (H.B 964)
5. A Bill for an Act to Establish Desertification, Erosion, Food and Ecological Control Agency and for Other Matters Connected Therewith (H.B 101)
6. A Bill for an Act to Provide for the Establishment of the Institute of Environmental Practitioners of Nigeria to be charged with the Responsibility of Regulating and Managing Environmental Practices of Nigeria and for Related Matters (H.B 1022)
Bearing in mind that the South Eastern Zone especially Anambra State is prone to natural disaster like erosion, landslide and other related matters as well as soot which emanates from industrial gas plant and wastes, Hon. Obinna Chidoka is optimistic that these bills awaiting the presidential assent will curb the various environmental challenges facing the masses when implemented.
“Nke Anyi Ji Ka”
Culled from Nonso Ezeagu Otigba Facebook page