Breaking News :20,000 APC Defect To PDP From Akpabio’s Home

Twenty thousand members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) from Essien Udim, the home of Godswil Akpabio, former Governor of the state, on Tuesday defected to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the ruling party has said.

But the occasion was marred by an attack by hired thugs, with Moses Ekpo, Deputy Governor of the state, among party stakeholders and government officials to escape by the skin of their teeth.

The highlight of the reception for the new members, held at the Unity Hall of Essien Udim Local Government Council headquarters, was a massive declaration of support for Governor Udom Emmanuel by former and serving chapter and ward executive council members of the APC.

Prince Ukpong Akpabio, younger brother and former aide of the immediate past Senate Minority Leader, as well as Chief Michael Afangideh, regarded as Akpabio’s political godfather, also declared for Udom.

The Deputy Governor was receiving the APC defectors on behalf of the Governor when thugs suspected to be Akpabio’s supporters stormed the venue and attacked on the participants, including Ekpo.

The thugs, allegedly led by one Adionganye Akpabio, a cousin of Akpabio, and Imo Ibara from Ukana West ward1, arrived in buses and started launching missiles at everyone at the premises,
Speaking with Ukpong Akpabio, the state Commissioner for Investment, Commerce and Industry, thanked God for the prompt response of the Police to arrest the situation.

The miscreants succeeded in injuring some people and destroying some vehicles at the venue before escaping via a nearby river at Afaha Ikot Ebak.

A Honda Accord vehicle belonging to the PDP Chapter Chairman in Essien Udim, Hon. Ntiedo Usoro, was damaged, as well as some cars and motorcycles belonging to the APC members who defected to the PDP.

Elder Ufot EBong, Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Technical Matters, said he was astonished by the nature of the attack.

“I have never seen anything like this; they came armed and they made bonfires on the road and attempted to barricade us inside so they can kill us,” he said. “This is very horrible and I am worried about this development.”

Advertisements

Breaking News :Buhari Endorses N30,000 New National Minimum Wag

President Muhammadu Buhari has endorsed the new national minimum wage of N30,000 proposed by the Tripartite Committee on National Minimum Wage.

The President gave the approval on Tuesday shortly after the report of the committee was presented to him.

While promising to forward new minimum wage bill to National Assembly for action, he urged Nigerian workers against being used as political weapons.

Stay tuned for more details…….

Breaking News : Four House Of Reps Members Dump APC

 

Four members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the House of Representatives have dumped the party.

According to Yakubu Dogara, Speaker of the house, who announced their defection during plenary on Tuesday, the lawmakers are: Adedapo Lam-Adesina (Oyo State), Dada Awoleye (Oyo State), Segun Williams (Ogun State) and Lawali Hassan (Zamfara State).

2019 :INEC Deleted 300,000 Names From Voter Register

This is just as the commission revealed that from today, November 6, to November 12, it would display the voter register in the 120,000 polling units nationwide for Nigerians to scrutinise and raise objections, if any.

INEC chairman, Prof Mahmood Yakubu, disclosed this when he received a delegation of ECOWAS Pre-Election Fact Finding Mission, led by the chairman of Sierra Leone’s National Electoral Commission, Mohamed Conteh, yesterday in Abuja.

Yakubu  said that the names were removed from the register after Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) was carried out on the biometric data of registered voters, noting that the commission had started the cleaning up of the register.

“For the registered voters, we have been cleaning up on our own, using the AFIS.  As at last week, before I travelled, I was told that over 300,000 names were dropped via the automatic fingerprints identification system.

“But the cleaning of the voter register is not the sole responsibility of the commission; it is also the responsibility of every Nigerian. That is why the law says that we should display the register for a period of six days between November 6 and November 12. We will display the voter register in 120, 000 polling units nationwide,” he said.

The INEC chairman urged Nigerians to make use of the opportunity to assist the commission to identify names of other persons who are ineligible to vote for further clean-up.

Yakubu told the mission that INEC was well prepared for the 2019 general elections, saying it had passed the planning stage, and was now on implementation of the line-up activities for the elections.

“In fact we can say that the 2019 general election is perhaps the most deliberately well planned election in our history.

“We have finished the strategic planning; we have finished our strategic programme of action, and we have completed the election project plan. We have issued the timetable and schedule of activities for the 2019 general elections,” he said.

Yakubu also disclosed that the commission would by November 9 or November 10 release the statistics of political parties that nominated candidates for governorship elections coming up in 29 states and the State Houses of Assembly in all states.

Speaking earlier, leader of the mission, Conteh, said that they were in Nigeria to gather relevant information and see how prepared INEC was for the general elections.

“This is a fact-finding mission to the Federal Republic of Nigeria ahead of the elections.

“As you are aware, it is common that before we start any election, organisations such as ECOWAs come and see the condition under which election is conducted and gather information in respect of the elections

“More importantly, meet with you as a major stakeholder, as election management body that is responsible for the conduct of election to discuss with you and see how prepared you are for the election,’’ he said.

Conteh thanked ECOWAS, ECONEC and the federal government for the assistance rendered to Serial Leone during its elections in April.

Another member of the delegation and former chairperson of Ghana’s Electoral Commission,  Dr Remi Ajibewa, said that the mission would use the visit to meet with other electoral stakeholders in the country.

These, according to her, include security agencies, Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) and political parties to ensure the conduct of free, fair and credible elections in 2019.

JUST IN: Head Of Service Directed Workers To Report At Their Duty Posts

Winifred Oyo-Ita, the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, has directed workers to ensure that they report to their duty posts on Tuesday despite plans of the organized labour to begin an indefinite strike.

In a circular titled ‘Notice of court injunction on proposed strike action: Directive for compliance’ and dated November 5, 2018, Oyo-Ita said the order became necessary because the National Industrial Court had restrained the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) from embarking on the industrial action on Tuesday pending the determination of the substantive suit on Thursday November 8.

In the circular, signed on behalf of the HOCSF by the Permanent Secretary, Service Welfare Office, Mrs. Didi Walson-Jack, all permanent secretaries were asked to ensure strict compliance with the directive.

“The attention of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation has been drawn to the order of interim injunction by the Abuja Division of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria dated November 2, 2018 restraining the Nigeria Labour Congress, the Trade Union Congress and their members from embarking on or taking part in the strike or industrial action to commence on Tuesday, November 6, 2018,” read the circular.

“In view of the above, I am directed to inform you that all staff are expected to continue to report at their duty posts to carry out their duties pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice for interlocutory injunction.

“All Permanent Secretaries and Heads of extra-Ministerial Departments and Agencies are to bring the content of this circular to the attention of their staff and ensure strict compliance.”

Breaking News : Labour(NLC) Suspends Nationwide Strike At The Eleventh Hour.

The organised labour has called off its industrial action originally scheduled to begin at 12am on Tuesday in the final lap of its agitation for the raising of the national minimum wage from N18,000 to N30,000.

 

Ayuba Wabba, National Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), made the announcement in Abuja very late on Monday night — minutes before the industrial action was to kick off — after the second leg of the marathon meeting of the tripartite committee constituted by the Federal Government to decide a new national minimum wage.

“The tripartite negotiating committee, as rightly put by the chairperson, has, this period, concluded its assignment; agreements have been reached, and also documents have been signed,” Wabba said.

“The report will be submitted to Mr. President tomorrow by 4:15pm. Therefore, organised labour, we want to use this medium to thank all the tripartite partners for their understanding, and importantly for concluding this important national assignment.

“And having reached this position, and also the fact that the assignment has been concluded, the organised labour also decided that the proposed strike action is hereby suspended.”

Ama Pepple, Chairman of the committee, added: “I am happy to report to you that we have concluded our assignment and we will submit our report to the President by 4.15pm on Tuesday.

“We will reveal the figure at the presentation.”

Neither party disclosed to the media exactly what agreement had been reached.