…….RESPONSE TO THE SPONSORED ARTICLE WITH THE CAPTION ABOVE MEANT TO DIVIDE ANAMBRA ALONG RELiGIOUS LINES.
Anambra State the light of our Nation Nigeria is too complex and stable for a few extremists to toy with along religious lines. After reading the Sun Newspaper advert of October 20, 2018, we were convinced that some felons are out to tarnish the good work of democracy that has kept Anambra State ahead of other states in the country.
We read with disgust, the above titled advert which appeared in the Sun Newspaper of October 30, 2014. A thorough perusal of the advert shows that it is the continuation of the war against Anambra state now hiding under the cloak of religion.
In the said advert, they tried to portray Anambra state as an unstable state whose cabinet and other positions in the government were occupied by 80% Catholics.
The accusation is totally false and was calculated to diminish Anambra State and dredge us in religious crises.
We shall take the points they wickedly raised serially.
A. POLITICAL APPOINTMENT
It is not in doubt that the current Deputy Governor of Anambra state is a proud Anglican. We can take it further to still confirm that the Chief Protocol to His Excellency, Uzuegbunam Okagbue who also double as the Deputy Chief of Staff is a proud Anglican. So numerous to mention are Commissioners, Special Advisers, Senior Special Assistants, SAs and other appointees in this government are proudly Anglican.
Going back memory lane, we have the capacity to open up the lies from the pit of hell of some disgruntled elements who do not wish Anambra state well.
Prof. Stella Chinyere Okunna, who tripled to the irritation of many, as the Chief of Staff to the former Governor; Commissioner for Budget and Economic Planning; as well as the Chairman, Good Governance Group. Prof. Okunna is an Anglican.
Mrs. Vivian Nwandu was Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Budget and Economic PlanningPlanning and also a member of the Good Governance Group and, in fact, the de facto Deputy Chief of Staff is an Anglican.
Kindly peruse through the list of former Anambra state appointees and the denomination they belonged to.
1. Mr. Oseloka Obaze, former Secretary to State Government Catholic2. Stella Okunna, former Chief of Staff and Comm. for Economic Planning/Budget Anglican3. Peter Afuba, former Comm. for Justice and Attorney General Catholic4. Azuka Enemo, former Comm. for Local Government Anglican5. Lawrence Ikeakor, former Comm. for Health, Anglican6. Henrietta Agbata, former Comm for Women Affairs Anglican7. Callistus Ilozumba, former Comm.for Works Catholic8. Edozie Aroh, former Comm. for Youths and Sports, Anglican9. Sebastian Okoye, former Comm. for Environment Catholic10. Ohamobi Chike, former Comm for Transport, Catholic11. Chibunna Okoli Akirika ,former Comm. for Lands Anglican12. Engr. Patrick Obi, former Comm. for Housing, Catholic13. Ngozi Okoye, former Comm. for Finance Anglican/Pent14. Emeka Nwankwu, former Comm. for Utilities Catholic15. Uju Okeke, former Comm. for Education, Catholic16. Okoli Christopher, former Comm. for Science and Tech, Anglican17. Ndubisi Menakaya , former Comm. for Agriculture, Anglican18. Vivian Nwandu, former Special Adviser on MDG, Anglican19. Godfrey Muotolu, former Special Adviser on Chieftaincy Matters, Catholic 20. Emenike, Obi, former Principal Secretary to the Governor Catholic21. Oby Nwankwo, Perm. Sec. Govt. House, Anglican22. Ferdinand Obi Permanent Secretary/closest aide Anglican
23 Mr George Asuegbu Ijezi (Secretary) Anglican 24. Barr Gabriel Onyeozili Anglican25. Dr (Mrs) Kate Obioji Catholic26. Mrs Pauline Ndibe Catholic27. Mr. Shedrach Onuigbo Anglican
C. 1 JUDICIARY
Those that placed the advert also said that over 80% of Judges in Anambra State were Catholics, here are the statistics:
Chief Judges in Anambra state in the last dispensation.
1. Justice Chuka Okoli Anglican2. Justice Nri Ezedi (appointed by Obi) Anglican3. Justice Emeka Nzegwu (appointed by Obi) Anglican4. Justice Paul Obidigwe (appointed by Obi) Anglican5. Justice Peter Umeadi (appointed by Obi) CatholicAnambra State Judiciary has 18 Judges. The under listed, 10 in number, belong to Anglican faith, while the rest belong to Catholic and other faiths:
1. Justice Ijeoma Onwuamaegbu Anglican2. Justice O.M Anyachebelu Anglican3. Justice J.I Nweze Anglican4. Justice O.C. Amaechina Anglican5. Justice P.C Obiora Anglican6. Justice V. N Agbata Anglican7. Justice G.C Anulude Anglican8. Justice Ike Ogu Anglican9. Justice C.C Okaa Anglican10. Justice Otti Anglican
The Customary Court of Appeal became functional in Anambra State during the last dispensation. The two Presidents of the court appointed then were Anglican!
1. Justice Chinwe Amaechi Anglican. 2. Justice Samuel Okoye Anglican
The Magistrates Cadre has far more Anglicans than Catholics and other denominations put together..
D. PARTNERSHIP WITH THE CHURCH ON HEALTH
Anambra state supports Anglican hospitals that did not fall under the original hospitals slated for assistance, namely, Faith Hospital and Maternity owned by the Anglican Diocese of Awka. Another one is the Amichi Diocesan Hospital. Anambra state also assisted hospitals owned by the Pentecostal fellowship, an example being Jesus the Physician Hospital at Awka.
In Anambra state partnership with the Churches to build and rebuild institutions, the state built 10 maternities and four of them were for the Anglican Church and are located in:
1. Umueje, Anyamelum L.G.A2. Awba-Ofenmili, Akwa North L.G.A3. Ihiala, Ihiala L.G.A4. Umunze, Orumba South L.G.A
E. RETURN OF SCHOOLS
On the return of schools, there was no way any particular denomination was favoured. Schools taken over by Government in 1970 were all gazetted and it was those schools that were returned. Anglican Church benefitted more from some local Authority schools that were also returned to them. In few places there were disputes, Government set up a Committee to look into the challenges and resolve it.
Following the heroic return of schools, Anambra State Government gave to Catholic and Anglican Churches over 2 Billion Naira each to rehabilitate those schools and still dolling out millions every year to the curchrs in their partnership for a better Anambra. Anambra currently continued to pay the salaries of both tutorial and non-tutorial staff. This is now being adopted as a model across the globe.
Today, schools in Anambra come first in all external examinations. This is what Anambrarians should be celebrating rather than condone people who vilify the government who was the architect of it all.
F. CONTINUED SUPPORT TO THE CHURCH.
In line with the development agenda of the government, churches in Anambra State still benefits from the government. Below are the some of the financial assistance to some Anglican diocese in Anambra state.
1. Anglican Diocese of Aguata 5 Million for faith-based micro credit scheme/vehicle2. Anglican Diocese of Ihiala 3 Million for faith-based micro credit/vehicle3. Anglican Diocese of Amichi 3 Million for faith-based micro credit/vehicle4. Anglican Diocese of Niger West 3 Million for faith-based micro credit/vehicle5. Anglican Diocese of Mbamili a bus for their newly established secondary school6. Other Anglican/ Methodist Dioceses and some other religious denominations in the state benefitted
G. THOSE SENT TO THE NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR POLICY AND STRATEGIC STUDIES.
Among the Five persons sent to the Nigerian Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS) at Kuru, Plateau State by Anambra state government, only two were Catholic. They also insinuated that the state is paying catholic priests and bishops salaries. This is the worst blackmail any human can peddle again a peace living state as Anambra.
We know their plans which is to divide Anambra state along religious lines going into the general election. Their plans have failed because Anambra state in in the hand of the God Almighty. Support Anambra state. Support APGA, Support governances.
ALLIANCE FOR EQUITY AND JUSTICE